[tex-live] tlmgr bug

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri May 18 15:57:59 CEST 2018

Hi Paulo,

re-including the mailing list

> My point is that this is "unfriendly" behaviours on part of tlmgr. It could
> do two things right away:
>
>      to check the permissions and inform the user at the start

Umpf, the same could happen with *any* file installed in TL (4+ Gb) and
that would mean we should check each and every file and directory for
correct permissions ... sorry, no. And actually I don't know *any*
program that does this.

>       to offer to sudo at that particular point

Definitely not. I don't consider this the job of TeX Live.
Even with aptitude here on Debian I don't like it when it asks me for
root password. It is my job to become root to do this kind of stuff.

> butchered by these font-installation-scripts and SX postings telling people
> to "sudo texhax"...and that always implies that tlmgr will break down the

Yes, unfortunately. But people have to learn.

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer