[tex-live] MacTex Bug: wget.x86_64-darwin is missing HTTPS support

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:21:50 CEST 2018

On 17 May 2018 at 10:41, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Reinhard, please ...
>
>> The problem is that wget doesn't support SSL by itself.  If it's
>> compiled with +https it just expects external libraries and maybe
>> other resources to be installed.
>
> Well, one can compile even with a static openssl library. It is a
> question of preparation.

See a lengthy discussion on MacPorts bug tracker (mostly about why
many people opted not to do this):
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51516

> It would be nice if the wget binaries we ship would support https, that
> is something I would like to see.

At least for the mac (and probably many *BSD) users it would probably
be really nice if curl was supported out of the box. Then we would get
the same benefits as linux users who get the system wget without the
additional maintenance burden.

Mojca