[tex-live] TL2018: Problems with filenames

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:41:05 CEST 2018

On 11 May 2018 at 05:05, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
>> In my simple test, pdftex can be changed similarly.
>> I'll change pdftex if it is OK.
>

> Done in r47676.

Akira, thanks!

> In the present latex-core, image names and input
> file names seem not to be usable in pdflatex.
> I don't know why.

That's expected (at present). You can use `\detokenize` or similar
around a non-ascii filename.
The 2018 latex release essentially preloaded `inputenc` and once that
is loaded (essentially all latex documents in recent years)
the non ascii characters are made active with font-encoding specific
typesetting definitions so don't work in filenames (some work
essentially accidentally if the font and filename encodings match)

> Best,
> Akira

David