[tex-live] Deployment of TL 2018 (on multiple computers): release or updated?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:38:00 CEST 2018

    Le 09/05/18 à 22h29, Norbert Preining a écrit :

    > This can be done in the way Zdenek suggested. I have done this back
then
    > in my old department with a variety of mac and unix computers, just
one
    > master installation and all others just nfs mount.

    Nice!

    But, when I answered Zdenek, I forgot that years ago (at least 10 years
    ago), I used to try this method but the compilation time was
    dramatically slow. Maybe both software and hardware are better for
    handling this nowadays.

It depends on your LAN and the server. A few years ago I had a project when
I had to analyze a few million data sets, each analysis took about 2
minutes but the whole calculation took 3 months using 80 CPU cores, all
files were on one Linux computer (32-bit, single core), the disk was
mounted by NFS to some computers and by SSHFS to some computers, all
computers are on GB LAN and have GB ethernet ports. in comparison with the
same calculation with the files on a local disk there was no difference.

    Best.
    --
    Denis

Zdeněk Wagner