[tex-live] Deployment of TL 2018 (on multiple computers): release or updated?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed May 9 16:34:21 CEST 2018

Hi Denis,

> OK but, in order to save bandwith, I still continue to massively make
> use of the `.iso' file: I downloaded it once and, for the (numerous)
> LaTeX courses I'm giving, I am providing it (on USB sticks) to each
> student who can install TL without downloading everything.

Fine with that, but please advise them to run tlmgr update --self --all
after installation ;-)

> > * wait until the TL binaries for the archs you need are updated
>
> I'm waiting for your go sign! :)

No go sign from me. It depends on *your* requirements. If it is only
x86_64-linux and/or win32, you should be settle by tomorrow's rebuild
(if it worked out). You should see updates to various .ARCH packages.

> I guess I could at that time build an `.iso' file with the content of
> the `Master' directory of the TL.

Good luck, that is not a trivial task. But probably possible.

> ago), I used to try this method but the compilation time was
> dramatically slow. Maybe both software and hardware are better for
> handling this nowadays.

NFS problem. But shouldn't be if you use ls-R files which are used by
default. So unless your networks is extremely slow, that shouldn't be
a problem.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer