[tex-live] TL2018/LuaTeX/Mac "bug" (but also probably in all other distributions as well)

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Wed Mar 28 23:21:06 CEST 2018

Folks,

I tried my best to make other people do my work for me. But no takers.

So just now, I did a careful search of the computer used last year to construct MacTeX-2017 and found the example of lualatex calling a library lib.so and getting a string "Hello world."

Last year's example runs correctly on the lualatex in my TeX Live 2018. But that is not a surprise because I compiled TeX Live again yesterday using the command

	extern STRIP="strip -u -r"
	./Build --enable-xindy CLISP=/Users/koch/clisp/clisp-build/clisp

Moreover, I looked carefully at the build instructions used to make MacTeX-2017, and the word "extern" is there.
But somehow this word didn't make it to MacTeX-2018. It is missing in several different places. I'll fix this before bed.

 None of this has been contributed to Karl, but immediately after writing this note, I'll do that. Therefore, if we are lucky, tomorrow's update for the Mac will update luatex and fix this bug. If we are not lucky, that will happen on Friday.

Thanks to Mojca and Patrick for pushing.

Dick Koch