[tex-live] TeXLive-2018 fails to update across firewall

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 20 23:12:39 CEST 2018

    the shipped wget is a bit old

I don't think TL wget.*darwin is old (and even if it is, the oldness
doesn't matter). The deficiency is that it doesn't support https. And I
don't see a great need to change that, which would not be easy, due to
insane ssl-related dependencies.

With the new defaults, the TL wget is only used if the system curl is
not available. That should usually solve the problem for https on macs.

For the systems where there is no curl, I think it is good to still
distribute the wget we have now so there is something available. -k