[tex-live] TeXLive-2018 fails to update across firewall

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:47:13 CEST 2018

    > I still think the wget provided with texlive package is old/broken, and would like the ability to use the one installed instead (e.g., /opt/local/bin/wget):

    That is true, the shipped wget is a bit old and we are working to update it.

    BUT ... it doesn't seem that the shipped wget is used, but the one
    provided by the system!!!

I for one am VERY HAPPY that it used the system-provided wget.

    > $ sudo -E curl http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb > t.tlpdb
    > Warning: /Users/ur20980/.curlrc:2: warning: 'no_proxy' is unknown

    This is again strange on your system. TeX Live does not ship curl, but
    uses the system provided one ... but that one cannot read your .curlrc.
    What are you putting into it????

I'm pretty sure it uses the system-provided curl. And again, am very happy about that.

After checking, my ".curlrc" defined both "noproxy=..." and "no_proxy=...". The second one appears to be incorrect, so I removed it.

    > 100 13.0M  100 13.0M    0     0  1756k      0  0:00:07  0:00:07 --:--:-- 1693k

    But at least it downloaded the correct stuff.

Yep!

    > $ /Library/TeX/texbin/tlmgr version -v
    > tlmgr revision 47951 (2018-06-07 07:55:43 +0200)

    This is after the update of texlive.infra/tlmgr.

Yep.

    > D:tlmgr:main: ::tldownload_server defined: TeXLive::TLDownload=HASH(0x7f7f147df978)

    Which shows that LWP is used.

    > D:Using system wget (tested).

    THis is *really* surprising... WHY did it choose wget from the system,
    it should have taken the one provided by TL ... I need to find out why.

Can you please make an option for the user to force using the system-provided wget? Pretty-please?

    > D:TLUtils::download_file: downloading using lwp succeeded

    So we see that neither wget nor curl is used, which IS GOOD!!!

;-)

    To repeat it the uptimes times, the defaults in TL are made for speed
    and broad support, please don't play with them if not necessary.

I wouldn't mess with it, if it worked!

As for wget and curl - they are used pretty heavily, so, naturally, I had to put some config parameters in - like what proxies

    > D:tlmgr: new pkgs: latex-via-exemplos

    So all looks fine here, nothing I can help you now.

Maybe it would be possible to use system-provided (instead of TL-packaged) wget and/or curl when LWP doesn't work? And allowing the user to choose between system-provided and TL-provided?

Thanks!