[tex-live] How to add my very own unsigned repository

Martin Sievers martin at dante.de
Tue Jun 12 17:51:05 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I would like to add a custom (unsigned) repository to TeX Live in order
to distribute updates of project-specific LaTeX class and style files to
my colleagues.

I followed the section "Multiple Repositories" from the tlmgr help pages
and the recent version of "How to set up your own TeX Live package
repository". I ended up having a valid repository (at least in my
opinion) using "tl-update-containers" with the "-no-sign" option which
is successfully added to the repository list.

However, when testing "tlmgr --location=/tmp/TeXLive_MUYA list" only
gives me:
tlmgr: main database at /tmp/TeXLive_MUYA is not signed

Installation works fine though from this local repository.

However, when trying to copy the repository to a web server and
installing the packages from there, I get the following error:
/usr/local/texlive/current/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr: signature verification
error of /tmp/mXX6S0Ljag/ko5GlUdB_5 from
http://MYSERVER/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb: cryptographic signature
verification of /tmp/mXX6S0Ljag/zqh8EyD4kn against
http://MYSERVER/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.sha512.asc
failed. Output was
gpg: Keine gültigen OpenPGP-Daten gefunden.
gpg: Die Signatur konnte nicht überprüft werden.
Denken Sie daran, daß die Datei mit der Signatur (.sig oder .asc)
als erste in der Kommandozeile stehen sollte.

Do you have an idea, what went wrong here? Is it not possible to copy a
local unsigned repository to some web space? I thought, that using
"-no-sign" is sufficient when creating the repository and that there is
no verification for additional repositories by default. Did I understand
this wrongly?

Thank you.

Best regards
Martin