[tex-live] huge extraneous eps file in tlnet

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 5 23:29:46 CEST 2018

On 2018-06-05 at 14:03:47 -0500, jack wrote:

 > I found the following unpleasant surprise in TL 2018.  The file
 >
 > /texmf-dist/doc/latex/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e-figures/list.eps
 >
 > is around 66MB, even though the corresponding pdf and png files are
 > 10K and 75K respectively.  TL 2017 didn't have this giant file.

The EPS file is quite large because binary data is represeted as
hexadecimal ASCII data.  Means: two characters per byte and no
compression.

 > Could this file please be removed from TeXLive?

Please consult the package author.  TeX Live provides what is on CTAN
and CTAN provides what they get from the authors.  The only one who
can remove the file is the package author.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de