[tex-live] TL2018: UTF-8 characters in file names with pdflatex

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Thu Jul 26 01:20:31 CEST 2018

> In TeX Live 2018/W32TeX,
> Akira-san and I have implemented a function which treat
> UTF-8 on the console of Windows.
> If you set a option "command_line_encoding=utf-8" in your
> texmf.cnf, current version (since 2018/06/11) will accept
> utf-8 strings. I expect following examples will work:
> ... ...

The current binary of pdftex on Windows in the TeX Live 2018
does not have the above function.
Please wait for the next TeX Live 2019.

In the current TeX Live 2018, the variable
"command_line_encoding" affects 3 TeX engines: uptex, euptex,
xetex, and 2 drivers: dvips, (x)dvipdfmx. In the next
TeX Live 2019, the engine pdftex will be added.

In a personal texmf.cnf, e.g., c:/texlive/YYYY/texmf.cnf,
users can write a line
command_line_encoding = utf-8
in order to switch on the function.
However, I recommend to use the function by writing personal
batch files such as

@echo off
rem myxelatex.bat
setlocal
set command_line_encoding=utf-8
xelatex %*
endlocal

because it is desirable to switch on or to switch off the
function easily and flexibly for each program.

Thanks,
Akira