[tex-live] Lua module 'socket.url' loading problem with getmap

Josef Kleber josef.kleber at gmx.de
Sun Jul 15 16:56:52 CEST 2018

Dear Akira,

Am 15.07.2018 um 15:31 schrieb Akira Kakuto:
> Dear Josef,
>
>> This also works for me! (pdflatex,xelatex and lualatex)
>
> I tried following the investigation by Arata Mizuki.
> Please read
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2018-May/041628.html
>
> The reason seems to be the update of the used
> compiler and its standard libraries.

I've read the mail, but don't get the story. In
https://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-os.setlocale there's:

"If locale is the empty string, the current locale is set to an
implementation-defined native locale."

Whatever that might be.

On
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604499/functions/setlocale.html
there's

""
    Specifies an implementation-defined native environment. [CX] [Option
Start]  The determination of the name of the new locale for the
specified category depends on the value of the associated environment
variables, LC_* and LANG ; see the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std
1003.1-2001, Chapter 7, Locale and the Base Definitions volume of IEEE
Std 1003.1-2001, Chapter 8, Environment Variables. [Option End]

Here I use two shells: cmd.exe and Cygwin's bash

C:\Users\jk>chcp
Aktive Codepage: 850.

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

It works on both, although getmap.sty takes care to explicitly convert
problematic strings to utf8. I don't see how the the loale can be set to
a specific platform dependant codepage. I would say it's exactly the
opposite.

Another question would be why I need to reset the locale again, although
it's done by runscript.tlu.

However, it does work! ;-)

Josef