[tex-live] Lua module 'socket.url' loading problem with getmap

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sat Jul 14 00:02:46 CEST 2018

Dear Josef,

> Can please somebody else test the following file on
> his/her system with:
> lualatex -shell-escape file
>
> %
> % encoding is UTF-8
> %
> ... ...

The example works fine here on Windows for lualatex, and xelatex.

However in other cases, for example Japanese Kanji names,
\StringEncodingConvert sometimes convert a clean UTF-8 string
in a source into a broken string for lualatex and xelatex.
In the case of pdflatex, all is OK. I don't know why.
Since sources in xelatex and lualatex are generically UTF-8,
I think that it is better to redefine \StringEncodingConvert
not to convert the string.
Please see an attached patch: getmap.sty.diff and
please test it for lualatex and xelatex.

Best,
Akira