[tex-live] Strange tlmgr output today

jack tljack at forallx.net
Wed Feb 28 16:24:17 CET 2018

On Tue, February 27, 2018 7:05 am, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>> I have done no such thing, nor have I edited a tlpdb by hand.  I sync
>> the repo via a script, so I never mistype the command.  Also, this
>> happened on more than one of my machines.  So there must be another
>> explanation.
> Hmm, very strange indeed.
>> Perhaps something funny happened to mirrors.rit.edu---like maybe it
>> went down and had to be restored from a previous state.
> Can you try
> tlmgr --repository ctan update --list and see if you get the same output?

By the time I got this email and tried it, I had already found that
mirrors.rit.edu had stopped being weird.  (I did a `list`, got the funny
output, then rsynced from there to my local tlnet repo, observed that a
bunch of stuff donwloaded [including the packages listed in the funny
output], then did `list` again, and there was no funny output.)

I had tried such syncing before, but nothing downloaded.  So for some
period of time, mirrors.rit.edu had newer versions of those packages and
then later it had the older versions again.