[tex-live] Problem with installation: cannot determine release!

CarLaTeX carlatexlyx at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 12:04:30 CET 2018

I don't know exactly what happened, it's likely my Windows 10 system
suddenly stops while I was updating TeX Live (2017).

At the moment, if I try to start the TeX Live GUI, I immediately get the

Problem with installation: cannot determine release!

If I launch tlmgr update --all in the command prompt, I get a series of
invisible characters followed by:

at C:/texlive/2017/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 103, <TMP> line 1.

I have the file release-texlive.txt in the directory C:\texlive\2017,

TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2017

This file is public domain.  It is read by install-tl --version,
tlmgr --version, and texconfig conf, and a final line appended with
the precise version number by tl-update-images during a build.

The following blank line helps avoid confusing output when
used directly from svn, so don't delete it.

Should I reinstall everything?

(I also asked on TEX.SE:

Thank you,