[tex-live] Tutorial for setting up own TeX Live package repositories seems outdated

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Feb 12 00:55:10 CET 2018

Hi René

> in r22216. I noticed that the information in section 4 seems outdated

That could easily be, I haven't updated it in ages.

I will update it to a better layout, since I am using it anyway in so
many projects.

> 	Cannot determine type of tlpdb from [ROOT]!

mkdir texmf-dist/web2c/
touch texmf-dist/web2c/.dont-delete-this-dir (or anything else)

The current code determines the type of archive (.tar.xz, or files)
automatically and just bumps out because it cannot find the

Here is parts of my deployment script I use for some repos:

# update tlpdb
$TLCHECKOUT/Master/tlpkg/bin/tl-update-tlpdb \
      -with-w32-pattern-warning -from-git \
      --catalogue=$TLCATALOGUE        \
# update containers
$TLCHECKOUT/Master/tlpkg/bin/tl-update-containers \
      -master `pwd` \
      -location $TLNETDEST    \
      -gpgcmd `pwd`/tl-sign-file \
      -all # sometimes we need -recreate

Note that I am running from git - git mode is supported since some time.
The private signing file is a simple adaption of the one in the repo
using my private signing key. I need to factor out the arguments there:

if test $# -ne 1; then
  echo "$0: Exactly one argument must be given, the file to sign." >&2
  exit 1

# remove previous signature
rm -f "$1.asc"

if ! [ "x$TL_GNUPG" = "x" ] ; then
  # use the environment variable TL_GNUPG

# sign
$prg --armor \
    --detach-sign \
    --local-user 0xEC00B8DAD32266AA \

All the best

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer