[tex-live] Error

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Dec 31 00:42:23 CET 2018

On 2018-12-30 at 16:01:53 +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 > ne 30. 12. 2018 v 15:35 odesílatel Michael Hirt
 > <michael.hirt at student.uni-tuebingen.de> napsal:
 > >

 > > Dear texlive team,
 > >
 > > I wanted to install a usepackage for LaTeX using the command
 > >

 > > > tlmgr install siunitx
 > >
 > > The terminal returened the following:
 > >
 > > > (running on Debian, switching to user mode!)
 > > > /usr/bin/tlmgr: Initialization failed (in setup_unix_one):
 > > > /usr/bin/tlmgr: could not find a usable xzdec.
 > > > /usr/bin/tlmgr: Please install xzdec and try again.
 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > The line above tells you what to do.
 >
 > Anyway, do you really have TeX Live from TUG, or Debian TL
 > packages?

This is a good question.  Installing TeX Live from TUG in /usr/bin
is definitely the worst thing one can do.  /usr/local is for local
additions and everything else should be maintained by the package
manager of the Linux distribution.

On the other hand I'm not sure whether tlmgr is provided by Debian at
all which allows to install arbitrary packages.  This would certainly
interfere with Debian's package tool, even though many functions in
tlmgr are very useful.

Maybe Norbert can enlighten us.  On my various Debian machines I
simply mount the multiplatform TeX Live system from TUG and thus have
no experience with Debian TeX Live packages.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de