[tex-live] Making texts externally replaceable in PDFs, e.g. with sed(1)

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Dec 15 00:31:52 CET 2018

Am Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:56:18 +0100 schrieb Osipov, Michael:

>> I don't understand this. Where is the difference between
>> <0008002700320026002c00270008> and (%DOCID%)? Both is a quite unique
>> string.
>
> At first sight, yes, but I don't expect the char code to glyph mapping
> to be stable as long as more and more glyphs are added to bfchar.

Hm. Yes. But it shouldn't be so difficult to create a rather unique
pattern. E.g. with four %%%%.

> I noticed that too, one would need to update the stream length and the
> xref table. It is feasable to make the placeholder as long as the actual
> content.
>
> Thank your for the idea, but do you know how to enforce the main font
> here while retaining WinAnsiEncoding?

You could create a tfm and a type1 font from you font.

Beside this: you could also store your text in a xform object
instead of directly in the stream. With a suitable attribut it
should be easy to find the object and replace the content.

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/