[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Dec 12 11:29:51 CET 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:06:30AM +0000, Philip Taylor wrote:
>    I have no idea what George is implying, any more than you do.

  I do.  He mentioned open source because he sees TeX as part of it, as
do I and others -- although some might prefer the phrase “free software” ;-)

>                     Microsoft are not a part of the open-source community,
>    and probably have very little interest in it.

  You really haven’t been paying attention.  Their (self-proclaimed)
interest in open source is huge.  Just search for “Microsoft loves open
source”.  If you want to impress on them that TeX is important, you
can’t in your draft letter ignore that it’s part of the open source
world, or you would be rendering the users that you purport to help a
signal disservice.  (And, needless to say, all of TeX Live is open
source / free software, not just some parts of it, and that’s an
important issue in TeX Live development.)

>    Like every other user of Microsoft Windows, I could "upgrade" if I so
>    chose; I choose not to, because everything from Windows 8 onwards (to
>    date, at least) represents an evolutionary step (nay, leap) backwards.

  Not my point.  You have opted for a very specific environment, not
reprentative of any general use case, and that increases my doubts that
you’re able to represent all TeX users on Windows, as you apparently
wish to.

	Arthur