[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:32:45 CET 2018

út 11. 12. 2018 v 13:47 odesílatel Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr> napsal:

> Le 11/12/18 à 13h31, Siep Kroonenberg a écrit :
>
> > Users who accidentally bought a 10 S system can remove S-mode.
>
> But may be reluctant to do so... And could afterwards blame
> colleague, teacher, friend, etc. for having advised to do so.

So you can wait until the students attend a course of mathematics or
statistics and have to install Octave and/or R-project. Somebody else
will then tell them to remove the S-mode...

If you look at the list of blocked software, you see that there is no
easy way. Porting to the S-mode will take a year or more. Verification
of such a huge package in MS will take another year. It will no longer
be TeX Live because the infrastructure (i.e. tlmgr and texmf.cnf) will
have to be different. Lua will not be allowed or will have to be
strongly limited so many luatex documents will not compile. \write18
will not be allowed so that files relying upon it will not compile.

I did not buy any TeX app for iPad. The reason was NOT the price, they
are not that expensive. The reason is that it is not TeX Live, there
are strong limitations posed by iOS. TeX for S-mode (whatever its name
will be) will be very similar. Services as TeXonWeb will be more
valuable if network connectivity is good.

> --
> Denis

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz