[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 10 15:41:34 CET 2018

Am 10.12.18 um 11:14 schrieb Denis Bitouzé:
> If you explain to students that, in order to use LaTeX (sometimes they
> have no sympathy for it at a first glance), they have to resell their
> current S-mode Windows computer for an old laptop on which they must
> install Linux and learn how to use it, before learning how to use LaTeX,
> they will merely laugh at you and will give up...

Hello,

it's certainly not that dramatic: They can keep their computer and use
it for the possible purposes.

But one could tell them, that it will be impossible to run a lot of
useful programs on it.

It's then up to them to decide. Quite likely, a considerable number of
them will avoid LaTeX. But I would bet, that most of these would quite
soon quit using LaTeX also for other reasons. As teacher you can tell
your students, that the documents produced with Word are really ugly and
a pain to write and read. But if the students are not willing to follow
your advice, it's up to them. I wouldn't regard it as really bad for the
community to loose those students.

Best wishes

Alois