[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 09:24:27 CET 2018

ne 9. 12. 2018 v 8:53 odesílatel Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:

> That does indeed seem the most probably scenario.  But of course it is not impossible that a Perl vendor (e.g., Active Perl) will apply for (and gain) certification, so if the installer can use an already-present Perl then all is not necessarily lost ...
>
> OK, it may happen but look at
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/18/will-linux-distros-run-on-windows-10-s/
> posted some time ago by George N. White III which says among others
>
> Just because an "app" comes from the Windows Store does NOT
> automatically mean that it's safe & suitable for running in Windows 10
> S. There are some apps that are not allowed to run on Windows 10 S,
> including all command-line apps, shells and Consoles.
>
> OK, but is (e.g.,) Active Perl necessarily one of these ?   Anyhow, this may be relevant — it would seem that one can get out of S-mode, albeit permanently.

Probably not, MS provides its new installer for the store and I hope
it will be free as nowaday's installers are. However, TeX, Metafont,
MetaPost and all other parts of TL are command line apps, they will
have to be redesigned. Update will not be possible by tlmgr.
Everything will have to be different, so it will be a new distro TL-S.
I am afraid there is no manpower to do it.

> ** Phil.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz