[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:13:17 CET 2018

so 8. 12. 2018 v 8:33 odesílatel Denis Bitouzé
<denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr> napsal:

> In the LaTeX case, the commandline is often hidden by TeX IDEs. So
> users may both want LaTeX and not want commandline

Yes, it is often hidden by IDE but it is still a commandline program
which requires cmd.exe but this is explicitely forbidden in the S
mode. Thus the IDE can work if installed from the MS Store but TeX
will never run in it. A user will have to decide, either S mode or TeX
but not both. MiKTeX will have the very same problem.

> > especially as they can't undo that change...
>
> That's the point: too much constraining.
>
> > In many ways something like overleaf is a far more natural fit for
> > such a machine, and steering people in that direction may be a better
> > alternative than telling them to reconfigure their operating system.
>
> Except that, IMHO, Overleaf's editor provides too few features compared
> to real IDEs, such as Emacs or TeXstudio.
>
> Moreover, I guess the student who encountered this problem doesn't have
> enough money for an Internet subscription with an Internet Service
> Provider and has only a limited Internet access with his cell phone.
> --
There may be free services for running TeX, I think that TeXonWeb is
still free and has complete TeX Live installed but internet connection
can be expensive for some people.

> Denis

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz