[tex-live] tl2018: unclear how to report bugs

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Fri Aug 31 03:14:26 CEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 12:35:45AM +0200, David Carlisle wrote:
> > texdoc <packagename>
>
> > If there is an information on bug reporting, you find it by this unified command.
>
> yes, exactly, that's what I tried to say in my first reply, but Ilya
> pushed back on that, but I'm not sure what unified interface could be
> offered for a collection of packages with such varied maintenance
> models.

First of all, the info provided above should be clearly stated in the
web page on bug reporting.  (I use TeX from end of ’80s and TeXLive
for a decade, and had only a very vague idea about texdoc.)

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Second: of course, the general infrastructure cannot be done in 1
layer.  But it can be done in 3 layers.

A)  On CTAN: indicate clearly how to mark the communication channels
    on new uploads.

A') Auto-Nag uploaders if this info is not present.

B) (Design the mechanism if needed, and) clearly communicate to the
    authors how to update the info.  (E.g., have a button in a corner
    of Web UI “If you are the author, you can do this and that…”.)

C)  Import these fields from CTAN into the TeXLive packages.

Thanks,
Ilya

P.S.  There is no problem like this in CPAN, why it is present on CTAN?