[tex-live] tl2018: unclear how to report bugs

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 00:30:22 CEST 2018

čt 30. 8. 2018 v 23:54 odesílatel David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>
napsal:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 at 23:09, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:07:12PM +0200, David Carlisle wrote:
> > > each package that texlive integrates will have its own bug reporting
> mechanism.
> >
> > *This* is the problem I tried to address:  the absence of a unified
> > access to this info!
> >
> > It looks like CTAN has it (via “Maintainer” links), but this info is
> > not incorporated into TeXLive infrastructure.
>
> the maintainer field isn't that useful for bug reporting, eg
> https://ctan.org/pkg/colortbl?lang=en
> will tell you the maintainer is me, but ctan doesn't tell you how to
> contact me.
>
> The ctan catalogue format has (relatively recently) fields for bug
> reporting and source code repositories and newer entries have these
> listed eg
>
> https://ctan.org/pkg/typewriter
>
> has entries for "support" and "bug tracker" as well as listing me as
> maintainer.
>
> yes I could in theory ask ctan to update the catalogue for colortbl to
> give the bug reporting address on github but I haven't done that (and
> neither have author of most existing packages) so  ctan do not have
> that kind of information for most packages.
>
> but if the bug reporting address might be a github issues link, or an
> email address or a postal address or no address at all as the code is
> just published as is with no support, it's hard to know how texlive
> could give a unified interface  to it?

Well, CTAN just distributes what authors upload. It's not an easy task to
unify all information. TeX Live distributes what is available from CTAN.
And there is a unified interface for documentation:

texdoc <packagename>

If there is an information on bug reporting, you find it by this unified
command.