[tex-live] kpathsea performance

Patrick Davey patrick.davey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:51:38 CEST 2018

Hi there,

We recently upgraded from texlive-2012 to 2018. We saw a major decrease in
performance running many tex jobs (2 seconds up to 29 seconds in some cases)

It turned out (see this stack overflow)
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/446372/compiling-pdftex-2-2-seconds-with-2012-vs-29-seconds-with-2018-version
to be the case insensitive searching default that kpathsea has. One we
disabled that, the times went back to what we were used to.

I'm not sure if this counts as a "bug report" per se, as you do talk about
disabling that in the documentation, but, it did take a while to work it
out. If it wasn't for the helpful people on StackOverflow I may never have
thought to disable that option. I didn't think that the case insensitive
searching could be _that_ much slower.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know,
Best,
Patrick