[tex-live] huge pdflatex output

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Aug 21 00:19:14 CEST 2018

On 2018-08-20 at 15:11:41 -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:

 > When I compile alegreya-samples.tex in various ways,
 > pdflatex output is far bigger than the others:
 >
 > pdflatex:  1050181
 > latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf: 167851
 > latex -> dvipdfmx: 117938
 > xelatex: 113159
 >
 > Apparently this is a relatively new phenomenon. Does anyone
 > know why?  Similar results with other font families.

pdftex simply creates subsets of Type 1 fonts while all other
programs convert them to either Type 1C (aka Compact Font Format)
or to CID Type 0C.

The problem is that Type 1 fonts are encrypted and it's impossible to
compress random numbers efficiently.

You can also try

  pdflatex alegreya-samples.tex
  ps2pdf alegreya-samples.pdf alegreya-samples-gs.pdf

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de