[tex-live] tlmgr update problem

Goossens Michel mgoossensgva at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 21:49:54 CEST 2018

I installed TeXlive 2018 on Windows 8.1 a few months ago (when it just came
out). I updated the installation a few times since that initial install,
without any problems.

Today I wanted to get the latest files and I did the usual:

tlmgr update --self,

followed by

tlmgr update --all

This is what I get (seems similar to a problem reported on StackExchange
two weeks ago for Windows 10).

[in fact it is the third run of update --all, before it failed for the abnt
and acmart packages, hence the skipping forcibly removed package abnt skipping
forcibly removed package acmart messages]

C:\Users\goossens\goossenswork\lwarp>tlmgr update --all
xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupttlmgr.pl: package repository
http://www.pirbot.com/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/
tlnet (not verified: gpg unavailable)tlmgr.pl: saving backups to
C:/texlive/2018/tlpkg/backups
skipping forcibly removed package abnt
skipping forcibly removed package acmart[  1/103, ??:??/??:??] update:
alegreya [14131k] (48170 -> 48339) ... xz: (stdin): Compressed data is
corrupt
TLPDB::_install_package: Decompressing C:\Users\goossens\AppData\Local\Temp\z5z_
0BM_nz\YYsHMQWGq8/alegreya.tar.xz failedtlmgr.pl: Installation of new
version of alegreya failed, trying to unwind.
Cannot open tlpobj file: C:/texlive/2018/tlpkg/tlpobj/alegreya.tlpobj at C:/texl
ive/2018/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 70.

Any hint what the problem could be?

Thanks

*UPDATE:*

After getting the suggestion top try another mirror I trieds to re-install
the package acmart (which was forcibly removed by tlmgr update in my second
try) using a Swiss repository. I still get a similar error message.

C:\Users\goossens\goossenswork\lwarp>tlmgr install acmart
xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupttlmgr.pl: package repository
http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/tex/systems/texlive/tlnet (not
verified: gpg unavailable)[1/1, ??:??/??:??] install: acmart [6470k]
tar: Skipping to next file header
untar: untarring
C:\Users\goossens\AppData\Local\Temp\u3V8gSH7KSIgE7FQYbxB/acmart.tar
failed (in C:/texlive/2018/texmf-dist)
TLPDB::_install_package: untar failedtlmgr.pl: package log updated:
C:/texlive/2018/texmf-var/web2c/tlmgr.log

Is something corrupted on my local installation, and, if yes, how can
I correct the situation?

Thanks for your help.

Michel Goossens