[tex-live] Current TeX Live Utility fails to update

Uri Blumenthal uri at mit.edu
Fri Aug 3 08:22:14 CEST 2018

My PATH was set so that MacTeX (/Library/TeX/bin) was ahead of /opt/local/bin, precisely for that reason (and that's why running tlmgr from the Terminal worked).

Completely removing /opt/local/bin seems impractical, as that's where the current Perl, Python, and GnuPG live (and for GnuPG the only alternative location is /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin).

Path sanitization killed the MacTeX location, leaving available only Macports kpsewhich.

I suspect there can be issues with curl as well, because the version included with MacOS is less than perfect.

I think that allowing the user to specify which executables to use (instead of basing these decisions on directory path alone) would be better. Example: working kpsewhich is in /Library/TeX/bin, working wget, curl and gpg - in /opt/local/bin...

Sent from my test iPhone