[tex-live] Current TeX Live Utility fails to update

Uri Blumenthal uri at mit.edu
Fri Aug 3 04:33:40 CEST 2018

On Aug 2, 2018, at 22:00 , Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com<mailto:amaxwell at mac.com>> wrote:
On Aug 2, 2018, at 18:39 , Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at<mailto:preining at logic.at>> wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2018, Uri Blumenthal wrote:
Uncompressing TeX Live Manager Updater
./runme.sh: Cannot find TeX Live root using kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT.
./runme.sh: (no tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb and/or tlpkg/tlpobj/.)
./runme.sh: Please set your PATH as needed, otherwise it's hopeless.

The log file contained clear indications - it seems that
kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT
did not return anything useful. In this case the updated cannot work.

In Terminal, what is the output of

which kpsewhich

It looks like I had two of those. One that I need and use, and the other one that was forced...

$ which kpsewhich
/Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich
$ type -all kpsewhich
kpsewhich is /Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich
$ ll /Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich /opt/local/bin/kpsewhich
-rwxr-xr-x  1 uri   wheel  89036 May  9 18:06 /Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin     45 Jun 19 07:10 /opt/local/bin/kpsewhich@ -> /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich
$ ll /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  20692 Jul 23 17:59 /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich*
$ /Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich --var-value SELFAUTOPARENT
/usr/local/texlive/2018
$ /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich --var-value SELFAUTOPARENT
/opt/local/libexec
$

and

$(defaults read com.googlecode.mactlmgr.tlu TLMTexBinPathPreferenceKey)/kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT

It appears to give the correct answer:

$ $(defaults read com.googlecode.mactlmgr.tlu TLMTexBinPathPreferenceKey)/kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT
/usr/local/texlive/2018
$

TLU runs kpsewhich during the launch process, and it would log an error if that failed. I'm not sure why it's failing in update-tlmgr-latest.sh, unless you have another kpsewhich.

Yes. Some application packages required Macports-installed "texlive-bin”.

$ port provides /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich
/opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/kpsewhich is provided by: texlive-bin
$

Since some packages (like OpenSC) come with documentation in XML, they may require “dblatex” to convert it to something useful - and “dblatex” requires “texlive-bin”… But for now I’ve deleted the whole bunch, as my TeX needs are served by MacTeX.pkg anyway.

Thanks!