[tex-live] Current TeX Live Utility fails to update

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Aug 3 04:00:44 CEST 2018

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 18:39 , Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2018, Uri Blumenthal wrote:
>> Uncompressing TeX Live Manager Updater
>> ./runme.sh: Cannot find TeX Live root using kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT.
>> ./runme.sh: (no tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb and/or tlpkg/tlpobj/.)
>> ./runme.sh: Please set your PATH as needed, otherwise it's hopeless.
>
> The log file contained clear indications - it seems that
> 	kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT
> did not return anything useful. In this case the updated cannot work.

In Terminal, what is the output of

which kpsewhich

and

$(defaults read com.googlecode.mactlmgr.tlu TLMTexBinPathPreferenceKey)/kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT

TLU runs kpsewhich during the launch process, and it would log an error if that failed. I'm not sure why it's failing in update-tlmgr-latest.sh, unless you have another kpsewhich.

-- adam