[tex-live] please stop endless rant against case insensitive macOS file system

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Wed Apr 11 16:24:40 CEST 2018

Jfbu,

Karl is doing us a wonderful favor with the changes in Kpathsea. Let's say "thanks, Karl."

I'm a Mac guy, and I had to defend the machine 20 years ago when Apple was in trouble. The worse day was when the University of Oregon provost sent faculty a letter forbidding Apple purchases without his explicit permission.

So as a sort of reflex, my hair rose when I read the sentence you quoted from the Kpathsea manual. But if you reread it, as I did, all it says is that there is a lot of interaction between Mac folks and Unix folks, so Kpathsea had to be modified. That's not a rant. It's something to be proud of.

...just a friendly message from one Mac guy to another

Dick Koch