[tex-live] texlive on Raspberry Pi

Simon Dales simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 14:55:27 CEST 2018

Markus,
On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 14:13 +0200, Markus Kohm wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. April 2018, 11:17:10 CEST schrieb Simon Dales:
> > Stretch uses tmpfs
>
> Not for /tmp:
>
> $ cat /etc/os-release | grep PRETTY_NAME
> PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
> $ mount | grep /tmp
> $
>
> /tmp is even not a mountpoint but a directory of /.

It is in any Raspbian that I have examined (Wheezy + Stretch). I did
nothing special; it just installed that way out of the box.

Makes sense to have /tmp tmpfs: preserves your SD. Depends on your mean
daily writes. Lots of people will be lucky. Some of my systems are quite
active, and I have killed flash that way. It's got no SMART so it
suddenly dies: instant Norwegian Blue.

Not sure why there is a difference in observation. Maybe subtle
differences in distro build. There is a build flag where you can set
tmpfs for /tmp on/off, and some reports of a bug where this flag gets
ignored (so /tmp becomes a directory).

Simon