[tex-live] texlive 2018 doesn't work on redhat/centos 6

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Mon Apr 9 10:47:11 CEST 2018

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018, Greg' Ar Tourter wrote:
> > server running centos6 and binaries seems to require glibc 2.14
> > (RH/centos
>
> Unfortunately it looks like it. The problem is that several programs
> require C++11 standard, which is only supported in Debian/jessie and
> above.
>
> > Is that intentional?
>
> So, unfortunately yes.

Oh dear. They will maintain this already seven-years-old release for
another two years ( https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product ). IMHO, this
may be worth another cautionary \item at the top of (e. g.)
http://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html that reads something like:

TeX Live 2018 on Linux relies on glibc>=2.14. For users of Debian<8
(jessie), RHEL/CentOS<7, SLES<12, we recommend to use TeX Live packages
provided by their distribution instead, or fall back to (frozen) <a
href="ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/install-tl-unx.tar.gz">TeX
Live 2017</a>.

Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How long
will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?) But
arguably better than users continuing to stumble upon this.

The minimum glibc prerequisite should be at least included in the
release notes/notable changes.

The listing on the Quick Install page might also be a place for Simon's
RPi page.

Best,
Johannes