[tex-live] kpsewhich case insensitive?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 6 23:46:37 CEST 2018

    Is it the intended behavior? (I hope not)

Yes, it is. I wrote a new section in the Kpathsea manual explaining it
(Casefolding search), besides my various previous messages.

To turn it off in your case, there are two choices:

1) set the config/envvar texmf_casefold_search to 0;

2) specify TEXMFHOME with a leading !! in texmf.cnf, that is, using ls-R
(thus requiring you to run mktexlsr when any files are added or removed,
 thus probably better not to do this.)

Well, there is 3) renaming your case-conflicting file, but you already
knew that.

You can thank Apple and its users for inflicting this pain. --best, karl