[tex-live] display issue with "tlmgr help" ??

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Sep 11 10:12:51 CEST 2017

Le 11 sept. 2017 à 09:12, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> such I mess is not so unusual, I have it in linux too because several nonfree tools came with their own perl in nonstandard places. However, my standard perl does not see their files. The key point is the setting of PERL5LIB, it points to directories with my private additions, not to those nonstandard versions. It may happen that your incomplete installation sees files from another version which may cause problems. I would suggest to start with verification of environment settings, especially the variables related to perl.

Hi Zdenek,

it seems I have indeed a mess,

$ which -a perl
/opt/local/bin/perl
/opt/miniconda3/bin/perl
/usr/bin/perl

$ which -a perldoc
/opt/local/bin/perldoc
/opt/miniconda3/bin/perldoc
/usr/bin/perldoc

$ echo $PERL5LIB
/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin

and the latter is a Fink location.

Thus I have (at least) 3 user installs of Perl:

1) the MacPorts one in /opt/local

2) the Anaconda one in /opt/miniconda3

3) the Fink one in /sw/

for the Fink I found

/sw/bin/perl5.12.4

which needs to be invoked under this name

there are repertories

/sw/lib/perl5/5.12.4 and /sw/lib/perl5/5.16.4

the MacPorts has

/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.24

$ env | grep PERL
PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin
ac_cv_path_INTLTOOL_PERL=/usr/bin/perl

in view of the above I tried

$ export PERL5LIB="/opt/local/lib/perl5"

$ tlmgr help

no success

then

$ export PERL5LIB="/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.24"

no success either

$ unset PERL5LIB

no success either

Right now I have reached the stage where I know that
"man perlrun" is where Perl env variables are documented,

thus now I think I only have to learn Perl and then report back ;-)

(be patient ... if I knew how to trace the binaries in use from
"tlmgr help" I would be better-armed)

Cheers

Jean-François