[tex-live] display issue with "tlmgr help" ??

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sun Sep 10 23:14:38 CEST 2017

Hi Karl

> [...]
> I have no way to know which part is failing on your Mac.  You could look
> at the code starting around line 466 in tlmgr.pl if you want to pursue
> it.  --best, karl.

the problem originates in the Perl which came with my MacPorts install
(it puts it in /opt/local/bin/). And indeed I did this install around
September 1st. On the desktop iMac where I saw again the problem,
I had not yet activated the MacPorts binaries for TeX, so I had forgotten
that I actually did the install back then.

after deactivating this /opt/local/bin/
location from my PATH, I observe correct output from tlmgr help

the Perl giving good result is /opt/miniconda3/bin/perl which comes from
my Anaconda install [1]

[1] https://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/

$ /opt/miniconda3/bin/perl --version

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2) built for darwin-2level

on the other hand, the Perl giving bad result is

$ /opt/local/bin/perl --version

This is perl 5, version 24, subversion 2 (v5.24.2) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

The system one is only a bit older than the one from Anaconda install

$ /usr/bin/perl --version

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 2 (v5.16.2) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

It would be interesting to know if this Perl v5.24.2 induces problems with
"tlmgr help" on other systems than my Mac OS X.

Best,

Jean-François