[tex-live] Advice on debugging segfault in luatex (2017 source, gcc-7.1) ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon May 22 02:37:39 CEST 2017

OK, I came late to this - I'm behind on everything and my "distro"
of choice (LFS) has moved to gcc-7.1.  First I installed the
x86_64-linux binary: works, although I was surprised to see that asy
now needs libtinfo.so.5 (libncurses.so.5 used to be fine - a post on
an Arch formum suggested symlinking to that, which seems to fix it).

IFF I can build from source, I may have further comments on asy : my
3D document seemed to build extremely slowly.  But meanwhile -

With source from r44437 I'm getting one test failure in 'make check':
FAIL: luatexdir/luaimage.test

And when I look in my build dir (texlive-build/ since there is
already a Build/) at texk/web2c/test-suite.log I see bad news:

line 12:   5909 Segmentation fault   ./luatex -ini luaimage

So, I'm fairly sure this is a gcc-7.1 problem.  I've installed gdb,
and added -g to my CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, but I'm having trouble
trying to run that command by hand (so that I know I have the
*right* command before I invoke gdb).

I went into my texlive-build/texk/web2c directory and tried to run
./luatex -ini ../../../texk/web2c/luatexdir/tests/luaimage.tex
(note in passing that the luatex wrapper is very hard to exit if it
can't find the specified file)

But that just gives me:
! I can't find file `basic'.
l.5   \input basic

At least ^D works there, but can somebody give me hints about how to
run this test / where to run it from, please ?

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment