[tex-live] collection merging

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 3 00:25:17 CEST 2017

I'm wondering about merging a few more of the small collections,
primarily just to make the lists shorter and simpler. See lists below;
the numbers to the left of the c-name are the sizes in megabytes,
numbers to the right are the number of packages in that
collection. "collection-" is abbreviated to "c-".

For languages, I wonder if we could get away with putting langafrican
and langindic (both of which are tiny) into langother.

For non-languages, what comes to mind is to merge plainextra,
genericrecommended, and genericextra (all tiny, and those distinctions
don't seem important nowadays...) into, say, c-genericplain.

Also, c-htmlxml is only a few packages:
  classpack jadetex lwarp passivetex tex4ht xmltex xmltexconfig

jadetex, passivetex, and xmltex are essentially unused these days. They
could go to c-otherformats. I think c-omega could go there too. (Maybe
scheme-xml can be deleted too, while we're at it.)

As for classpack, tex4ht, and lwarp, they can fit somewhere else, e.g.,
latexrecommended/extra, genericplain, somewhere.

I feel doubtful that anyone (de)selects the above collections
individually.

Any comments? Is the whole idea of more collection merging worth
pursuing at all?  --thanks, karl.

 414 c-langjapanese    43        1052 c-fontsextra        255
 161 c-langchinese     22         598 c-latexextra       1148
 145 c-langkorean      12         343 c-pstricks           99
 142 c-langenglish     60         223 c-publishers        173
  99 c-langgreek       25         211 c-context            53
  54 c-langgerman      49         193 c-pictures          160
  52 c-langother       28         190 c-fontsrecommended   34
  47 c-langcyrillic    43         115 c-bibtexextra       128
  41 c-langczechslovak 28         106 c-latex              40
  41 c-langfrench      32          92 c-xetex              50
  37 c-langarabic      15          91 c-latexrecommended   59
  26 c-langcjk         14          84 c-mathscience       163
  24 c-langeuropean    64          83 c-binextra          161
  24 c-langpolish      27          80 c-basic              55
  16 c-langportuguese   9          56 c-music              31
  11 c-langindic       15          51 c-metapost           44
  10 c-langspanish     14          40 c-htmlxml            21
  10 c-langafrican      4          29 c-humanities         51
   8 c-langitalian     16          23 c-genericextra       51
                                   18 c-luatex             39
                                   15 c-fontutils          31
                                   15 c-games              32
                                   15 c-formatsextra       21
                                   11 c-omega              10
                                    7 c-plainextra         24
                                    7 c-genericrecommended  9
                                    1 c-wintools            1
                                    0 c-texworks            1

P.S. For the record, the above output is from the tlpkg/bin/tlpsizes
utility script in the repository, with a little editing after.