[tex-live] what is pdfcolor.tex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 13 23:48:05 CET 2017

    /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pdftex/pdfcolor.tex

Hi jf - I agree it is a strange beast.  I tried to move it to doc a
couple years ago and was promptly informed it was still needed.

$ svn log pdfcolor.tex
r33060 | karl | 2014-02-27 23:04:26 +0100 (Thu, 27 Feb 2014) | 1 line
restore pdfcolor.tex, evidently some people/packages use it despite everything

Unfortunately I failed to note the exact messages with the reports and
don't feel like looking it all up now.

Running grep -r on texmf-dist/tex, I see it is \input by cwebmac.tex,
pdfwebmac.tex, and pdfcwebmac.tex. It all should be done differently,
but I'm not inclined to spend time on this.

    but it is loaded in some LaTeX package I help maintaining

What package? I guess you fixed it already? All to the good to avoid
using pdfcolor.tex, for sure ... --thanks, karl.