[tex-live] TL17 fails to compile a document when including a graphic whose file name contains multiple dots

Leo Liu leoliu.pku at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:52:52 CEST 2017

Hello,

There is a regression after upgrading to TeX Live 2017, that
(pdf/xe/lua)latex cannot compile the following minimal document:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{example.image.png}
\end{document}

where example.image.png is a PNG image file whose name contains two
dots. And here is the error message:

! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .image.png.

However, the same example can be compiled in TL16 smoothly.

What's more, when the image file contains some invalid UTF-8 sequence,
XeLaTeX will produce a segment fault.

I guess it is an issue about graphics-def. And I hope the problem can
be fixed properly.

Best,
Leo Liu