[tex-live] pdfsetmatrix error

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 17:03:28 CEST 2017

On 20/06/2017 15:52, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Joseph, hi TeX Live,
>
> (please keep Cc)

Always do ;)

> here at Debian we got a bug report that a document stopped being
> compilable with 2017. I can reproduce this with a MWE on current TL2017.
>
> The MWE is:
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{listings}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \newcommand{\foobar}[1]{\scalebox{-1}[1]{#1}}
> \lstset{breaklines=true,prebreak=\foobar{A}}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{lstlisting}
> some very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very long line
> \end{lstlisting}
> \end{document}
>
> and the error is:
> ! pdfTeX error (\pdfsetmatrix): Unrecognized format..
> <to be read again>
>                    \endgroup \set at typeset@protect
> l.10 \end{document}
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> It seems that this was not a problem in TL2016 (tested by the submitter,
> but not by me).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> All the best
>
> Norbert

Yes: 'Oh for goodness sake' :)

It seems that listings is redefining \space, which oddly enough causes a
few issues! Here, we have

    \edef\GPT at temp{%
      \Gscale at x\space0 0 \Gscale at y
    }%

whereas older versions had a 'private' version of \space.

I guess we'll have to go back to some non-public version of \space, but
that redefinition is pretty risky (it's widely known that \space is an
macro which expand to an explicit space).

Joseph