[tex-live] how to get `tlmgr remove` NOT to make backups

jack tljack at forallx.net
Fri Jun 9 15:43:01 CEST 2017

It seems to be a new feature of TL2017 that `tlmgr remove foo` will make a
backup of foo.

I only want backups made when I `tlmgr update foo`, not when I `tlmgr
remove foo`.  So I consulted `man tlmgr` to see if there is some flag I
can pass to `remove` to prevent the backups, or perhaps a `tlmgr option
blahblah` that I could set once and for all to prevent the new behavior.

However, I can't seem to find any such information there.  What's more,
`man tlmgr`, under the "remove" action, then under the "--backup" option,
falsely claims that:  "[If] neither option is given, no backup will be
made."  (I suspect that's a copy-paste error, with the text taken from the
help for `tlmgr update`.)

So:

1. Is there a way to prevent backups being made during `tlmgr remove foo`,
*without* disabling backups for `update`?  If so, what is it?  If not,
there should be.
2. Can there be a `tlmgr option remove_wont_backup` that the user can set
once and for all to stop this?

-Jack