[tex-live] strange discrepancy in running time of etex between TL2015 and TL2017

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:37:17 CEST 2017

Hi all,

there is another problem with small benchmark, the memory cache. If the
program is run for the first time, it has to be read from disk. If you run
it again, it may be still present in cache, hence it starts faster. If you
do not have SSD, then especially on the laptops the HD may be stopped in
order to save energy and reading may be slow. It may also be a difference
between a statically linked C program run immediately after compilation and
linking, because it may still be in the cache, and running the same program
the next day.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz