[tex-live] texlive setup problems

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jan 28 21:38:08 CET 2017

On 2017-01-28 at 09:15:17 +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 >     On 2017-01-27 at 10:21:34 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 >      > Reinhard, the bug is obvious to me. An *old* format is tried to be
 >      > loaded into a newer engine. That is very typical.
 >
 >     Hi Norbert,
 >     obviously, of course, but this is not what I mean.  Since pool files
 >     were even abolished long time before TL-2013 was released, the actual
 >     bug is that they are mentioned at all in error messages.
 >
 > Imagine that you have a mess in PATH, you run a tex binary from
 > 2011 (form another distro, not from TL) which requires a pool file
 > but it finds a format from TL 2016 were no pool exists. How can you
 > set a better error message?

There were no pool files in TL-2011 either.  The latest TeX Live
release which contained pool files was TL-2007.  I just confirmed this
by searching for pool files in all the TeX Live distros I have
installed (TL-2003 ... TL-2016).

And we are not talking about arbitrary distros:

Zdeněk, can you explain why *this* particular version complains about
a missing pool file?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25