[tex-live] TeXLive 2016 asymptote on archlinux

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Wed Jan 18 01:18:00 CET 2017

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 09:06:05 +0900
about the replaced libreadline.so version on ArchLinux:

>> I guess we need to link readline statically, because without readline
>> it would be very uncomfortable to work with asy.

I too thought of that, but ArchLinux and other rolling-release
distributions can replace libraries arbitrarily, deleting old
versions.  Here is the list of dependencies for asy on an Ubuntu 16.04
LTS system:

% ldd /usr/uumath/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/asy | awk '{print $1}' | sort -u | pr -c4 -w80 -f -t
/lib64/ld-linux-x86 libXfixes.so.3      libglut.so.3        libxcb-dri3.so.0
libGL.so.1          libXi.so.6          libm.so.6           libxcb-glx.so.0
libGLU.so.1         libXxf86vm.so.1     libncurses.so.5     libxcb-present.so.0
libX11-xcb.so.1     libc.so.6           libpthread.so.0     libxcb-sync.so.1
libX11.so.6         libdl.so.2          libreadline.so.5    libxcb.so.1
libXau.so.6         libdrm.so.2         librt.so.1          libxshmfence.so.1
libXdamage.so.1     libexpat.so.1       libstdc++.so.6      libz.so.1
libXdmcp.so.6       libgcc_s.so.1       libtinfo.so.5       linux-vdso.so.1
libXext.so.6        libglapi.so.0       libxcb-dri2.so.0

That is 35 different libraries, any of which could be replaced during
the year a given TeX Live YYYY release is likely to be in use.

Static linking of all libraries would (a) dramatically increase the
size of executables, and (b) not be possible for the many of them that
are available exclusively as shared libraries (*.so.*) instead of
static ones (*.a).

For the TeX Live 2017 effort that will soon be starting, I suppose
that I could augment the 100+ bin/*.tar.xz files at our Web site with
corresponding lib/*.tar.gz files containing the collection of shared
libraries needed by all of the executables.

However, that still might not solve the problem, because we have many
times seen kernel and/or glibc-version symbols embedded in shared
libraries that prevent their use on systems with older kernels or
older glibc installations.  However, it should at least supply missing
libraries for systems that have been upgraded to newer software
versions.