[tex-live] texlive guide entry for 2014

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri Jan 13 10:36:12 CET 2017

Hi,

I needed to examine texmf.cnf and dvipdfmx.def of recent
releases to determine that, if I am not mistaken,
it is since TeXLive 2014 that the dvipdfmx driver for
latex+graphics has the capability
on Unix like system to generate bounding box information
on the fly via extractbb. This is not mentioned in
the 9.1.11 2014 entry of TeX Live 2016, the 9.1.5 2008
entry speaks about dvipdfmx and extractbb, I don't
know if the driver file for graphics used extractbb
but from later versions (2012, 2013) I believe
it needed shell-escape.

I think the same apply for platex (Japanese latex)
but not reading Japanese it is harder for me to check.

Can someone confirm that since TL2014 there is no need
on Unix-like systems to prepare beforehand .xbb
files for graphics inclusion of .png, .jpeg, ...,
when doing latex+dvipdfmx or platex+dvipdfmx ?
(and that it was either needed before, or at least
shell-escape had to be enabled) ?

And if true, could this information be integrated
to 2014 entry in TeX Live Guide for future reference ?

(my checks are only on last updated versions of the
various TL201X)

Best wishes

Jean-François