[tex-live] "tlmgr list" became unusable

Enrico Gregorio enrico.gregorio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:01:58 CET 2017

> On 10 Dec 2017, at 20:42 , Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:44:04AM -0600, jack wrote:
>> For years, "tlmgr list" would output a list of all packages and
>> collections, on one line each.  Those that were installed had their line
>> begin with an "i".
>>
>> Today I needed "tlmgr list", and when I did it, I found that it now spits
>> out so much verbose information that it's unusuable.  For each item, it
>> displays the same thing that "tlmgr info [item]" would display.  I.e., the
>> whole record for it, "longdesc" and all.
>
> Try
>
> tlmgr info --data "name,localrev,shortdesc"
>
> instead. Installed packages have a non-zero value for localrev. The
> output is in csv format.

This somewhat works, but is not the same as the documentation
advertises:

info [option...] [collections|schemes|pkg…]

With no argument, lists all packages available at the package repository, prefixing those already installed with i.
[…]
The former actions show and list are merged into this action, but are still supported for backward compatibility.

Ciao
Enrico