[tex-live] gzip.exe

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Mon Aug 7 00:34:12 CEST 2017

Dear Fabrice,

> I'd like to report the following problem with gzip.exe from the TeXLive distribution.
> As far as I can see, this gzip.exe doesn't keep files timestamps when compressing files.

                                     110728 Apr 17  2016 test
gzip test
                                     23771 Aug  7 07:11 test.gz

gzip -l -v -N test.gz

method  crc     date  time           compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
defla d898c6a4 Apr 17 16:25               23771              110728  78.6% test

It seems to show that the time stamp of 'test'
is saved in 'test.gz'.

However, the time stamp is not restored by

gzip -d -N -vv test.gz
test.gz:        test: time stamp restored
78.6% -- replaced with test

in spite of the message.
I don't know details and I could not resolve this problem.

Best,
Akira