[tex-live] LuaTeX 1.0.0 in TL 2016?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 10:22:02 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have some potentially good news.

On 29 September 2016 at 08:08, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 28 September 2016 at 23:46, Juergen Fenn wrote:
>>
>> AFAICS the binaries for macOS Intel are there. Should I just copy them to the bin directory of TL2016 in order to update my system, or could that be fatal?
>
> It would probably work. In case it doesn't, you can always revert
> (either make a backup copy or reinstall the package from the TL
> repository).
>
>> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/luatex/osx-intel/bin/
>
> This would work, but you should get the 64-bit binary. For historical
> reason the ConTeXt ditribution still uses confusing names. You
> probably want
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/luatex/osx-64/bin/
> or
>     http://svn.contextgarden.net/suite-bin/tex/x86_64-darwin/luatex/
>
> You only need luatex. The others are just symlinks.
>
> I tried to make a TL repository from these binaries

You can try to fetch the latest LuaTeX from
    http://texlive.contextgarden.net/
which Norbert helped me set up.

You need to ask others how exactly this works. I did something like:

tlmgr repository add http://texlive.contextgarden.net/2016-context tlcontext
tlmgr repository list
tlmgr pinning add tlcontext luatex
tlmgr --force remove luatex
tlmgr install luatex

but I'm sure there's a better way, I just didn't figure it out yet.

If you install ConTeXt from there, you'll all get a huge pile of
additional documentation.

I added x86_64-linux and x86_64-darwin to start with (just to test
whether it works at all), but I can easily add other architectures.
(Windows hasn't been tested at all.)

Please note that this is highly experimental / there is no promise of
stability yet.

If things fail, you can always revert back to the official binary with
tlmgr and without messing around with the TL tree manually

Mojca